As a self-confessed Twitter app addict, I of course, jumped at the opportunity to check out a new offering. This was especially true, given the hype from beta testers as well as the reputation of the devs.
After opening the app & putting in my Twitter login credentials, my first impression was “damn, this is a beautifully designed app!”. It’s clear a lot of thought was put into the the UI design and I appreciate it. Previously, I thought Twitterrific was the prettiest iPhone Twitter app. No more. Tweetbot now wears the crown!
I read the MacStories review before I even downloaded the app, so I knew the little intricacies beforehand. Long read, but extremely helpful!
I’m not going to go into detail, but I will give a list of things I did & did not like about Tweetbot. At the end, I’ll tell you if it’s my HG Twitter app, which earns a spot on the dock.
- As mentioned above, love, love, love the look of the app. Looks amazing on my iPhone 4’s retina display!
- Being able to load any of my lists in the main timeline w/ minimal steps. I use lists like it’s my job, so having easy access to them is definitely a win.
- I love, love, love how I can set options dependent on each account. It’s something I’ve never thought of, but really makes sense. If you wanted to use a different image/video service or readitlater account, or url shortening service, depending on which Twitter account you’re using, you can!
- The 1-touch drawer. The official Twitter app gives you these options via a swipe, but it covers up the Tweet. The Tweetbot method does not cover anything, but simply shifts everything down a little. Nice and thoughtful touch.
- Much like Twitterrific, I like the gesture options. Swiping both ways (does different things), double tap, & triple tap. Great for power users like myself.
- The sounds are cute. I turn some of them off, but I love the option of having a choice in the matter.
- No mute feature for either hashtags or users. I’ve come to depend on this, from other apps & desperately need it.
- Twitlonger support. I need this. No questions asked. Tweetlogix’s use of this has spoiled me for all other apps. They autoexpand Twitlonger links & also allow you to post using it. NEED!
- Quote format for RTs… *frowny face*. This was one of the main reasons I abandoned the official app. Is it really that hard to give users the option of doing a manual RT @username? I hate that quote crap!
- There’s no autocomplete username suggestion for @replies you send. Yes, the nice little contact thing pops up, but I miss the autocomplete function found in other apps.
- This really isn’t that important, but it’d be nice to see bit.ly user account integration.
- No, #nowplaying music feature. That’s easily fixed for jailbreakers, though.
- No landscape mode. I don’t use landscape unless I’m watching a video, but I know others depend on it. This is fixed with yet another jailbreak tweak.
So, looking at the pros and cons, you probably think I don’t like the app that much. Not true! I love it!
But has it earned a place in my dock as the go-to Twitter app? Sadly, no. The deal breakers were the mute function, the lack of twitlonger support, and quote RT crap. I absolutely MUST have them in my HG Twitter app.