Even though it’s hilarious that MTV continues their annual charade that they actually care about music, I still tune in, with all my Twitter friends, and watch the hell out of their show. As I’ve previously shared, Awards shows, and major TV events in general, are better with Twitter.
When MTV started promoting this year’s show, and announcing performers, I was cautiously optimistic. What looks like a good lineup, on paper, doesn’t always come to fruition; especially when it comes to MTV. But, as the show grew closer, I got more and more excited, until I couldn’t take it anymore!
So, without further ado, here are my Top 5 moments.
5. Danity Kane (minus D. Woods) is back! They appeared on the pre-show and did an interview while looking absolutely fab! They announced their new single, “Rage,” would be out soon. Can’t wait!
4. Eminem announced his new album, MMLP2 (Marshall Mathers LP 2). It didn’t really happen at the show, but there was a Beats By Dre commercial with him in it. Whatever, I don’t care. Glad Em’s back! Album due November 5th, y’all!
3. Taylor Swift. You can usually keep most of her music, but she was shady and fun last night! Twitter was annoyed that the camera was on her so much during the show. I wasn’t. She looked like she was having a blast, dancing through all the performances and enjoying herself. MTV isn’t going to put people on TV who look like they aren’t having any fun and would rather be having a root canal (like Rihanna, at times). So if Taylor and Lady Gaga were getting every inch of their lives, it makes sense to put the camera on them, does it not? Also, when One Direction was on stage, accepting their award, MTV cut to Taylor and caught her being not-so-nice. It’s nice to see Miss Perfect aint so perfect!
2. The crowd and Twitter’s reaction to Miley Cyrus’ hot ass mess of a performance. I’ve been vocal that I’m not here for her recent image, and it seems I’m not alone. I had a great time making jokes and laughing at others who were also making jokes. That’s what I love about the Internet. They truly get me.
1. Justin Timberlake/NSYNC performance! JT owned the VMA’s. It was basically his concert, with an awards show taking place around it. Here for it!
Honorable Mention: Divergent movie’s first teaser trailer was released during the pre-show, by stars Shailene Woodley and Theo James. Watch it here.